I’ve been reading or listening to a number of interesting things this week and wanted to share some of that here.
I’ve found several interesting blogs (including a couple that I reblogged earlier today) on topics related to my work. There are some wonderfully creative and insightful people out there involved in user-experience and user-interface design, Agile software development, and product management and if these things interest you as well I encourage you to check out some of the things I’ve tweeted or blogged about recently.
I have also been both reading about and listening to more on the topic of diversity and inclusion. With this as a central theme for my company in 2015 there are a number of folks talking about these topics and sharing links with each other to articles, TED talks, and other sources of information. Here are a few of the things I’ve come across in the past week:
- Diversity at Facebook: http://bit.ly/1CjKmoc
- The Inclusion Imperative: http://bit.ly/1DyeLfE
- The Listening Bias: http://bit.ly/1B6PQyR
- Can Prejudice Ever be a Good Thing: http://bit.ly/1pyVeTG
And here are some key insights I gleaned from them:
- It’s not about lowering the bar but about widening the funnel for finding top candidates
- Diversity and inclusion must be values not just compliance issues
- Sometimes we need ‘misfits’ rather than ‘culture fits’
- We have to be committed to really listening if we are going to learn from each other
These are complex topics and I find it valuable to listen to lots of points of view. I hope you find some of this interesting as well, since in truth it’s not that simple.